Monday, December 13, 2010

Stars and baking

It must have been around midnight when I was looking up at the dark sky. It was covered and showered with beautiful shining stars. Do you know that when the sky is covered with brightly shining stars the next day it will be a blue sky and even some sun? I smiled to myself and I felt blessed for witnessing this beauty again.

Last time I promised to post about the baking that was going on some time ago (does the time flies or what?) I have got this recipe from my friend last winter and only now I was able to get to it (yes I think the time definitely flies! :-) It's a, and please do not freak out, a baked tea. Did you ever hear of it? 
So the stove was preheated up, the ingredients were mixed up. We had fun to do it. It's even easy to make it with small kids. I did let my son to mix everything together. Those big wide open sparkling eyes and the big smile on his face were for sure a sign of true satisfaction :-)

The jars were ready ...





Just waiting to be filled up ...




and there you go :-)


have a nice winter warming up tea :-)


Here is the recipe for the eventually interested ones ;-)
1 kg of fruits (fresh or frozen)
1 kg of sugar (I put a bit less and brown sugar but that's not the original recipe ... 
2 dcl of rum (optional of course ;-) I made some with rum and some without for my son!
1 lemon (the best is bio as you will use the lemon zest in as well)
1 tbs of cinnamon (or more or less depending on your taste)
3 ground cloves
Mix all the ingredients in a big bowl (cut the lemon with the skin into small pieces) and bake in the oven at 220C for about 30-40 minutes (till the fruits drops (releases) the water (the water from the fruits I mean to say :-) When ready fill up the jars, close them and turn them up side down for 5 minutes.
To drink: fill up the bottom of your tea cup with the fruits and some 'sauce' from them and fill the rest of your tea cup with boiling water. And you have a very kind of warming up tea to drink on the cold days. The gentlemen may appreciate a bit more of the rum in it ;-)
I hope you all have a wonderful week!!! I'll try to visit with all of you very soon!

7 comments:

Brian Miller said...

mmm...may have to give this a try...the high here today is 20...brrr....but i do love looking to the sky...

Birdie said...

me too Brian, I find my connection when looking up high there ...

Cindy said...

Birdie, love a lovely sky, and yes I have never heard of this recipe, will have to try it for sure. sending you a big hug, glad you are well, so many things to do. take care.

Just Be Real said...

I messed up Birdie. I accidentley copied another comment to someone else. Ooops. You can delete. Hi Birdie, did not know about the shining stars at night revealing a blue sky along with a sunny day the next. Glad you had fun preparing the dish.

Tracy said...

Oh, I would love some of this, Birdie... thank you for sharing a taste from your kitchen with us! It is cold & foggy here this morning--something warm & lovely to drink would be just the thing. Happy Day, dear friend :o) ((HUGS))

Chris said...

Ooh Birdie, this sounds sooo delicious. It also sounds like it would be good on, or is it in, yogurt. I read somewhere recently about putting a teaspoon of raspberry jam in your tea. That sounded like a good idea. Also, thanks for your tip about ginger tea. I found some in my closet last night that had lemon in it.

Stafford Ray said...

This tea sounds like a nice drink but who cares! You got the pay off from your little helper's smile. And if I am given some, I want the rum in just before drinking. Alcohol vaporises at 87 deg C!