Monday, August 16, 2010

Fall is in the air




This past weekend brought rain and cold cold weather with it. We could literally feel the autumn in the air. 

The squash I bought on Friday came very handy yesterday and I made my favorite squash ginger soup. I love the squash. And I love the autumn. Well. I love the beginning of the autumn, the Indian summer. Definitely my favorite season of the year. The cold air, the colors, the smells ... I can never get enough of it and I never get tired of it. 
I was lucky enough to be able to travel and to live in different countries. They always talk about the Indian summer in Canada but to me, the best Indian summer I did live was in Virginia. I don't know if I was just lucky enough to be there that particular year or if the weather is always so great there but that fall I will never forget.

1995 - somewhere in VA, USA

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon. We eat our lunch and we went to the garden. Even though it was a blue blue sky and a sunny day, we already wore our sweatshirts, jeans and sneakers as the air was already chilly and brisk. We were just delivered a freshly cut wood for the winter. I remember the smell of it, the brown colors,  I remember how happy I felt putting it in the shelter. Then I went to pick up the rest of the grapes from behind the house. The blue purple colors of the grapes the fire like colors of the vine leafs - red brown golden, I remember looking up at the sky and feeling so much energy flowing through me that still today, 15 years later, when I close my eyes I can feel that afternoon like if it has happened a months ago. It's amazing. When I'm in a need of an energy and good feeling I just close my eyes and I get myself back there to that fall afternoon. And I'm happy. Moments like that make life worth living ... 

Do you have any memory that fills you up with energy? Or maybe even two or more of them? 


Happy week guys!

9 comments:

Tracy said...

This is a lovely post, Birdie! You can feel a slight shift in change of the season here too. And I am beginning to think cozy meal for autumn already as well. LOVE your memory from Virginia... Not far from where I am from originally! So often I think of he several times my husband & I traveled to England, our most favorite place... and we had our honeymoon in London. Not a week goes by that I don't think of those times and am lifted in love and happy memories. :o) Have a sweet week, Birdie ((HUGS))

Baracka said...

i also love autum, the smell of it the crisp cool air.. it feels great... thanks for sharing that memeory. beautiful thoughts glad it brings you happyness..

i have one memory where, it is raining, the wind is blowing very hard, everyone in my home is cuddle in bed or on the couch, i however i am attracted to winds, the rain and went on my porch... i was sad, feeling lonely, but at that moment i felt someone or something giving me the strenght that i need to keep going through my ordeal the more the wind got stronger the more strength i received. that memory is always vivid in my mind and when i feel lonely i go back to that day. it was like the lord was speaking to me and letting me know that he is in control no matter what storms im facing... and everytime it rains im on my porch embracing the smell, the winds the energy of the rain. it makes me at peace.....
god bless you and yours.

Just Be Real said...

Simply lovely Birdie. My heart was reopened to experience new things that the Lord is showing me. Blessings to you dear one.

Brian Miller said...

i love fall! my favorite time of year...al the color and the cool crisp mornings...so you have been to my backyard...smiles. somewhere in VA...well i am right int he middle of it...beautiful description...was coudy and overcast here this weekend and i too thought of fall...

Betsy Brock said...

Fall is my favorite! It doesn't feel like it yet, but in another 4-6 weeks at it will! yea!

Brian Miller said...

thank you fo always coming by...you always leave a smile on my face with your thoughts, questions...

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

thanks for taking the time to stop by and visit at Farmhouse...and you KNOW i LOVED this post...

i have my Apple Pie candle going this morning while sipping my hot chocolate..it is very cool here on the california coast this morning...they are calling it "the summer that never was". i have only turned on my fan ONCE!!!! that's o.k.....feels like Fall this morning

Love your blog..i see my friend betsy here too

Have a wonderful weekend...

kary and teddy
xxx

Deborah Ann said...

I like fall too. It's not my favorite, but close enough. LOVE the gorgeous flowers on your header!

Blessings,
Debby

Just Be Real said...

Came by to give you a ((((Birdie))))