Thursday, June 16, 2011

Favorite spot

"Serenity is not freedom from the storm,
but peace amid the storm. "
-unknown 



This is my favorite spot in the whole garden. This is what I see through the kitchen door when I cook. This view fills me up with serenity, with magic energy. It's my sacred place.

It didn't always look this way. When we started to rent this house, this place was filled up with ugly bushes and weeds. Lot's of weeds. I didn't like it. So last autumn I bought 'Boston Ivy' and I planted it
there. It was very small and I remember asking my dear blogger friends if anyone has any experiences with this plant, how long it takes to grow up ... Nobody really knew.

So I'm happy to report :-) that if you plant the Boston Ivy in the autumn, then next spring it will grow like crazy :-) However you need to be patient. In April I had a quick look at the plant and sadly I thought it didn't make it throughout the rough winter we had. So I took the rake and my gardening gloves and I went to 'dig it all out' thinking I will have to find more suitable plant for this place.
As soon as I did bend over to dig the first one out I spotted a very tiny tiny leave on one of the plants. I carefully analyzed all of it and I realized that it was starting to grow!! I packed the rake and I watered it. Within two weeks this Boston Ivy started to grow happily and beautifully, to my biggest joy.
It's leaves turn a beautiful red in the autumn. 

I love when the sun falls on it like in the picture above.  Do you have any favorite spot in your garden or in the nearby park? Do you have your own 'sacred place' that fills you up with serenity and joy?

Sending love your way ...

5 comments:

karen - Simply Inspired said...

birdie...thank you for sharing your "sacred place" with me today...i have been blessed by your lovely spot this morning and feel refreshed. with love always!
-xok.

Cindy said...

Birdie thank you for sharing this wonderful place. I needed this today. hugs my dear friend.

Umā said...

That's a beautiful spot Birdie, so much more peaceful to look at than the weeds I'm sure!

Tracy said...

VERY pretty spot, Birdie...and so happy your ivy did take off and grow that you planted last autumn! Thanks for sharing your space with us. I love ivy. We planted some at the base of a tree, but it hasn't really thrived as we've hoped...we'll see. My favorite spot in our garden is the deck off our back door--where we have table & chairs, a few potted plants. I love to sit here with tea in the mornings. My sacred space though is a little altar I have on the top of a small, low, bookcase in my studio and I change the candles, talismans, offerings & such frequently. Sometimes I do my yoga practice here with the altar for inspiration. :o) Happy Weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

Anyes said...

What an inspiring gardening story, Birdie. The Ivy you planted seems to be enjoying the spot you chose. It truly looks beautiful. Have a beautiful week-end.
Hugs :-)