Monday, January 17, 2011

On love and wabi-sabi

"I love you mommy, and I love daddy and T ..." our son was naming all those dear to his little heart before he went to sleep.
"And I love myself" (beautiful and wise I thought to myself).
"Do you love yourself mommy?" he asked me.

 "Yes, I do honey" I replied. And I was happy I could honestly say that I do love myself. With all my qualities and all that still need to be improved. It hasn't always been that way. There were some dark years. This statement about Self love are years of self discovery and hard work. 
Children are so pure they see love in everything and everywhere. They love it all. I pray that my son can always love himself and the world the way he does now.

Anyway ... 

Even though my mom used to sew a lot and she did sew really well, she didn't let me to learn how to use the sewing machine myself (oh momma! momma! ... ) My grandmother taught me how to sew by hand so I was always able to repair things or to sew a bit this and that. But ...
Ever since I saw a quilt I wanted to sew one. But with my back that hates me to stay bended over for hours and days and weeks I knew that I needed a sewing machine. So finally I have got one 2 months ago and it was love at the first sight. And yes, I made my very first quilt for my little astronaut. It's a small quilt and there are things I will do differently the next time. But considering that I'm new to sewing with the machine and that it is the very first quilt ever I'm happy with the job. And so is the little astronaut. That's the great thing about small kids, they embrace it all with love just the way it is. They are living the wabi-sabi ... 


inside our igloo that became our space shuttle ;-)

And because I love creativity and I love my little builder I have made these as well 

(yes we do have a straight walls I just need to improve taking pictures ;-)

And there is more projects accomplished and more ahead. For now we are starting to decorate for spring ...

And because I did love so much Se'lah's Random Act of Kindness I asked her for another person to send some extra love to. So my other card is soon going to be on it's way ...
 

Wishing you all a wonderful week ahead :-)


6 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

Aw. I love that your little guy asked you if you loved yourself. Loving oneself certainly is an up & down journey, isn't it.

Your quilt is lovely. Your son will always treasure it. Very special. I'm impressed that you wanted to make your son a quilt, and you did it! I've wanted to make a quilt for each of my children for years. I'm just so intimidated that I never even start.



My mother used to sew doll clothes for my babies. Even little bitty ones for my barbies. Sadly, she didn't teach me to sew either ;) oh how I wish she would have.

Love your creativity & your heart. Good for you, sending another bit of light to someone who needs it.

Xx

Anonymous said...

Isn't making a quilt fun?! I don't do it as often as I used to, but I still love it so much. I'm glad you jumped right in as soon as you got your machine and made what you wanted to make. I'm sure your sweet boy loves it bunches! What a great memory and great fun now and to come!

Much love,
Sharon

Brian Miller said...

nice...those turned out great...and yeah, we all need to learn to love ourselves...and out of that flows our love for others...genuine love...

Tracy said...

Oh, so sweet! The quilt is FABULOUS, Birdie! And you & yours on have made a very fun wall decoration. Wabi-sabi... the perfect in the midst of seeming imperfection--I love that. ;o) Thank you for your LOVELY comment at my place today. So glad you were able to stop by for the giveaway fun. Happy weekend to you all, dear friend ((BIG HUGS))

Jessica Lynn said...

Hi Birdie,
Just checking in on you. Checking for a new post ;) Thought I would just leave a quick wave & send you love & light today. Your supportive words on my pretty controversial post the other day meant so much. Thank you for being brave & leaving love there for me & my littles. Love,(as I fully believe in my hippie heart;) is the only way...... smiles

xoxo

Chris said...

This quilt is beautiful Birdie! Not sure I could do as well myself. Sending you lots of love and peace.