Thursday, June 3, 2010

Lack of sleep and its effect

This morning we went to buy a little chair so that I don't have to hold my son (he is becoming heavy now) on my tight when he washes his hands in the sink. We found one, cheap and ok. I promised him to take him to the big garden center he likes so much. While walking in, suddenly he tells me "mommy I think we forgot the chair in the store" ... we went to the car to check if it was in or not (I could not remember) and it was not ... I forgot it in the store ...
 I like to sleep, and I need lots of it to function well. But with a toddler (who never slept well as a baby), it is not always possible to get the amount of sleep, I wish I would have. This shows in the daily life and here are just few of the silly things I can do when I don't sleep enough:

prepare coffee - put the filter in the coffeemaker, the coffee in, switch it on and come back later realizing I forgot to put the water in ...
let our dog out to the garden - forget him there and only later when I noticed something small and black running like crazy from one window door to the other, I realize it was our poor dog (not a big deal it was a sunny day but he is not use to that - he looked freaked out and a bit 'upset')
starting to search for my keys (omg I'm turning into my mother, help!)
going to the grocery store and forget what I need to buy, what do we have in the fridge and what we don't
putting my son in the car seat and realizing he still wears his slippers

The list could go on. The only problem is I don't remember all of it ... memory loss is the other disadvantage of the very short nights ... 



10 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Birdie--You're not alone when it comes to not getting enough sleep. Is there ever a time when we'd get enough sleep. Love the bit about your son and his slippers. If it's any consolation, I can relate.

Brian Miller said...

get some sleep!
i know i will tonight...its been a beast of a day...work since 6 AM and not off until 8 PM...i think i would just eat the coffee grounds at this point...lol.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

rest well,
u can not function well if u don't sleep well.
Happy Friday!

Enchanted Oak said...

Lack of sleep makes people's brains fire messages all wrong. This is my scientific theory anyway, being an insomniac by nature. And no, I don't have an MD behind my name. It will get better, Birdie. You're young and resilient. That's why we have children while young. They get better as they age, while we grow more forgetful, no matter how much sleep we have. Oops. Sorry for the forecasting.

Just Be Real said...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz dear one sleep......

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

hope that you are all refreshed, restored, and ready for a new week ahead!
Cheers!

Stafford Ray said...

Hey Birdie, all good comments and wishes. Hope that helps, but the main message is that you and your lapses are not abnormal. After many years mine has not worsened so that's a relief but I do have a technique that might be useful.

Life is a funny home video. It is supposed to be silly and funny and I just stop, look at the locked in or out dog, forgotten chair, dry coffee pot, damned alarm going off at the wrong time and laugh at how silly I can be, smart as I know I really am!

This morning I put tea leaves in the cup while the tea pot ramained empty beside it! Yesterday I walked all the way to where I leave my motor scooter, took off the cover, started it and took off. One yard on and I almost went over the handle bars. I had forgotten to remove the security chain from the rear wheel!

What's your name again? ;)

Brian Miller said...

this is a rather long nap you are taking...smiles.

Just Be Real said...

I hope you are doing okay? Hugs to you Birdie!

Birdie said...

hi guys, I'm well, a lil busy ... a post will come soon :-)