Saturday, July 10, 2010

Dental visit

There are many people who dislike visits by the dentist. And for me, it is a horror story. 

It all started at the age of five. My dad took me to the dentist as I needed to have one milk molar tooth removed. There was a big tooth decay and my parents were told it's just better to get rid of it. Ok. The dentist asked me to open my mouth and to show her the tooth in question. I still remember that it was the one up on the left side. Then she did turn, took the 'tool' asked me to open my mouth wide and ... she did rip out the healthy one on the other side! There where I did grew they were no using any painkillers when I was a small kid. Yeah, I somehow still remember the pain and the shock... 

The same year, few months later I had to go for another tooth decay. My mother was with me. I sat in the dental chair, Mr. dentist asked me to open my mouth, he did touch the tooth in question and ... I did bite with all the strength I could. I remember him yelling, my mother's face full of disbelieve that the sweet and nice girl I was could actually do something like that. I did run as fast I could to my granmom's house, the only secure place I could think of.


No, I don't like you dentists. With one very big exception for The Mr. Dentist that treated mine and my husband's teeth for few years. He was gentle, patient, and he did always explain everything. We did like him so much, that we would send him postcards from our vacations :-) Then we moved away. And few years later we moved back to the same country with "our" dentist. I was keen on taking an appointment. The dental assistant told me that he took sabbatical year. When I asked her when his sabbatical year is coming to an end, she told me "you know he went to work to Reunion Island and I don't think he is coming back". Nope, he didn't. But I always knew that he was a smart smart guy :-) I hope that he is happy there. I know that his patients are ...

Why all this dental story? Well, I have an appointment for a tooth decay next week. It's a random selected dentist and I only hope that he won't be like 'Steve Martin - the dentist' ;-) 

1 comment:

Brian Miller said...

ha. i hope not...you know how i feel about dentist having read my horror story. really they must need to see a psychiatrist with so many disliking them....smiles. hope it oges well for you.