Monday, July 5, 2010

Fully present

Once a more we made it. The 13 hour drive there to the physio therapist for the check up with our son. Once again we made it through the week of the physio and we made it back, the 13 hour drive back home.

I did mention few times here that I want to write all about the birth of our son but till the legal process with the doctor in question is not over I cannot say much. The only thing I can share is that two years and eight months ago a healthy mother to be (me) with a healthy baby (our son) (at the right due date) entered the hospital with contractions. My body was doing exactly what it was supposed to do and our sweet boy was getting ready to see the world and of course, us.

But then a greedy doctor came in and he didn't want to wait for the birth to start naturally. He wanted the money and the least work possible. And the fastest way possible. So he decided to speed up everything for NOT a single valid reason. 
As a result of that a number of complications did occur and the doctor did managed to damaged the nerves that control a mobility of the left arm of our son (it's called plexus brachial obstetrical). When our little one was born he could not move his left arm for two months! We are even lucky to have him alive! The pain our son was through is unbelievable. No pain that I know of can possible compare to the pain that you feel when you see your child to suffer! 

They always speak about the third world countries, and how life has no value there. But here we are in a developed country (at least I thought so) but a human life has no value neither...

The hospital was so cynical asking me if I want to speak to a psychologist ... I mean .... frankly ... did I want to go and sit and cry by a hospital psychologist who would be taking more money from us and feeding him self on our pain? No!! I said that instead of sitting by a psychologist I need to take care of my baby and help him to get well as much as I can. And that's what we did. 

We found a great expert in neurology -physio therapy, and since our son is born we drive every months (now every second months) 13 hours to see her (doctor neurologist) and a week later we drive 13 hours back home. 
She teaches me how to do the neurological physio therapy back home and we do it every single day three times a day. I'm delighted with the results. Our son, even though not fully recovered yet, is able to use his left arm (with some limitations). It's a true miracle. These long trips are exhausting but the joy of seeing our sweet boy getting better and better make us to forget about the fatigue.

So my friends, we were not on vacation but we had good news about our little one and for me that is million times better then vacation.

I always learn something about me on these trips as well. This time it was that if I'm able to be fully present, even in a very unpleasant situation (really truly present), and if I try to look for the best in that given moment, then the difficulty seems to somehow go away. Amazing! Just try and see :-)

During this week I will try to catch up with your wonderful posts :-) I'm so looking forward to it :-)

Have a beautiful week dear blog buddies :-)

5 comments:

Chris said...

So glad to hear things went, and continue to go, well with your son's therapy. I agree there is no pain like that of watching your child go through pain. It always amazes me, and not in a good way, that human life has such little value to some people. That Greed is the motivating force, not good. You are so right about "be fully present, even in a very unpleasant situation (really truly present) . . . then the difficulty seems to somehow go away." You also come out stronger on the other side.

SE'LAH... said...

I'm so glad to hear things are improving for your son. I do so love babies who are facing their challenges/limitations head on and still loving life. We could learn a few things from their resilience. Exhale.
Sending him lots of positive, speedy recovery vibes.

You left the most beautiful comment today but blogger won't let me publish ;(
The feeling is very mutual! ;)
(could you please email me: necessaryroom@gmail.com).

Brian Miller said...

oh wow. thanks for sharing his story. it is heartbreaking but hope rings in the fact that he is improving. it warms my heart the sacrifices you make for him as well...welcome back. on my heart today...

Birdie said...

thank you so much to all of you for your kind words and the positive vibes. I was hesitating to write about it as it feels so personal, yet on the other hand i am so full of it that somehow it needs to go out ... i also wanted to share our story to bring the awareness to this condition but for that i would have to write how it all went with all the details, unfortunately we cannot share these details until the legal battle with the doctor and the hospital will be over... so i have to be patient ... i realize that the way i wrote it here it may sound as a sacrifice but please do not think that because me and my husband we don't see it this way, we simply want to give our little son the best help he can get and to get him well, fully - that is our hope ... and to us it is just natural, of course we are tired because it takes the energy away but we do it because we love him and it just feels natural. also i didn't want to sound like i am complaining ... really not!! i do need to improve my writing style - lol; i strongly believe in a power of love and in a power of a sincere prayer and so i am maybe hoping that someone reading this may put our little one in his/her prayer or meditation ... and for that I thank you with all my heart!

Erin Merryn said...

Hope you hold this doctor responsible! He should lose his medical license!